Interested in learning how Spoonflower makes it possible for individuals to design, print and sell their own fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap?
We invite you to take an inside look at the place we call home.
Spoonflower is a place where art and technology come together with the help of creative team members. Founded in May 2008 by two Internet geeks who had crafty wives but knew nothing about textiles, Spoonflower was once a small start-up company operating in a Durham kitchen.
Spoonflower Factory Tours
A Spoonflower tour focuses on art, technology, and innovation. Guests will take a journey through the Spoonflower factory, getting a behind-the-scenes look at how we turn ideas into creations. Surface patterns will come to life on our larger-than-life digital printers. Spoonflower tours are 30 minutes in length and are limited to a maximum of 10 guests per tour.
Total Tour Time: 30 mins
Tuesday & Thursday: 10am - 4pm
A Spoonflower field trip focuses on art, technology, and innovation. With the help of an interactive map, students will take a journey through the Spoonflower factory, getting a behind-the-scenes look at how we turn ideas into creations. Surface patterns will come to life on our larger-than-life printers.
With imaginations running wild from inspiration, students will have the opportunity to interact with Spoonflower employees through a structured Q&A in our community space. Tours will conclude with a complimentary 8"x8" sample swatch of your students' very own drawing!
Total Tour Time: 1 hour & 15 mins
Tuesday - Thursday: 10am - 4pm
Arrive at Spoonflower, get settled in our Greenhouse community space, divide into two groups if necessary*
Spoonflower factory tour. Don't forget to bring your interactive Map!
Let's talk about design! Spoonflower 101 and sample swatch presentation in the Greenhouse
Final goodbyes and photo op in the Spoonflower Lobby
*15 students per tour
Your Field Trip to Spoonflower
At least 2 weeks notice needed for a school field trip
We are unable to accommodate field trips October through December
Your Field Trip to Spoonflower
• Link the visit to your curriculum using pre- and post-visit lessons.
• Let students know what to expect
• Learn more about Spoonflower through the “Learn More”
button in the About section above.
• Share a video of the Spoonflower factory to get a sneak peak!
• Design your 8”x8” sample swatch
• All students will receive a printed 8”x8” sample swatch of their
own custom design. Please refer to the Let’s Get Designing
section below for more details.
• Be sure students wear comfortable closed toes shoes as our tours
go directly through the Spoonflower factory.
• Let parents/guardians know what your Spoonflower adventure will
look like. Download our parent/guardian letter below before you
visit our factory.
• Give students opportunities to reflect on the trip and build on it
when you return to the classroom.
There is no better feeling than seeing your custom design come to life on printed fabric! We want to share this excitement by providing each student with an 8”x8” custom sample swatch at the end of your factory tour. One week before visiting Spoonflower, please complete the following steps to ensure your swatches are ready for pick-up during your visit:
1. Download and print the formatted 8”x8” sample swatch template for each student.
2. Allow students to let their imaginations run wild on their personal 8”x8” swatch.
a. Crayons, markers, pens, pencils, paint… the tools are endless but remind students that
anything within the 8”x8” swatch template will print on their fabric.
3. Scan each swatch separately and individually upload to your Spoonflower account.
4. Organize student swatches into a collection.
5. Add swatch sampler to your cart (You will want to be logged into your Spoonflower account).
6. Email email@example.com to confirm your sampler is ready for printing.
7. Please bring the original sample swatches drawn by students to your tour. This will help aid
in discussion once the swatches are received!
Still have questions?
Please don't hesistate to reach out to:
2810 Meridian Parkway, Suite 176 Durham, NC 27713
Factory ToursSchool Field TripsSchedule Your Factory TourSchedule Your Field TripParent LetterSwatch TemplateLearn More